'Those who killed Hüseyin are those who arrested the journalists today'

  • actual
  • 14:16 8 August 2022
  • |
img
URFA - Yusuf Serhat Bucak, one of the directors of the newspaper, describing the murdered Özgür Gündem newspaper reporter Hüseyin Deniz, stated that his friends were targeted because they revealed the truth, and said: "Those who shot Hüseyin 30 years ago are the ones who arrested the journalists today."
 
It has been 30 years since Özgür Gündem Newspaper reporter and writer Hüseyin Deniz was murdered in the middle of the street in the Ceylanpınar district of Urfa on August 9, 1992. Deniz, the nephew of the Kurdish scholar Apê Musa (Musa Anter), worked as a teacher in Siverek and Nusaybin for many years, and spent 3 years in Diyarbakır Prison during the September 12 military coup. The Kurdish language and folklore studies that Deniz started in these years continued later on. In 1991, he published the book "Gotinên Peşiyên Kurdan" consisting of Kurdish proverbs. Deniz, who is a member of the International Writers' Union PEN, published articles in many newspapers and magazines, especially in Yeni Ülke, Cumhuriyet, 2000'e Doğru, Welat and Özgür Gündem Newspaper. Deniz, who became the Ceylanpınar correspondent when Özgür Gündem Newspaper started its publication life on May 31, 1992, also wrote articles for the newspaper's forum column.
 
Deniz, who was injured as a result of an armed attack on the street on August 9, 1992, was taken to Diyarbakır with his family's initiatives as he didn't get examine enough in Urfa State Hospital; however, Deniz lost his life before reaching Diyarbakır State Hospital.
 
THE MURDERERS WERE NOT REVEALED
 
Musa Anter, who is the uncle and colleaque of Deniz, wrote on his column about Deniz on Özgür Gündem Newspaper, dated August 13, 1992, after Deniz's murder. Ape Musa Anter was murdered by JİTEM members in Diyarbakır while he attended to the Culture and Art Festival on September 20, 1992, 38 days after he wrote this article. As in the other "unsolved murders", the murderers of both Anter and Deniz were not revealed. After the murder remained unsolved for 2 years the weapon was caught on an Hezbollah member Mehmet Şah Bakır. Bakır was held responsible for the murders and was tried with a life sentence in 2001. The sentence was overturned by the Supreme Court on July 2, 2002. The Diyarbakır Heavy Penal Court released Bakır on November 2, 2004. The case has still not concluded as Bakır disapeared after that date.
 
Yusuf Serhat Bucak, who was the director of Özgür Gündem Newspaper at the time of Deniz's murder, told the Mesopotamia Agency(MA) about his colleaque Hüseyin Deniz.
 
Stating that Deniz was a calm, and a man of few words and he liked to research, Bucak said: "Deniz's relations with his students were good. Deniz spoke to them in Kurdish and he was arrested on September 12 and held in Diyarbakır Prison. After ten years, Deniz started to wrote culture and art news stories for Özgür Gündem Newspaper. Deniz wrote on murdered journalists and asked in his article who was going to be the next? In that time, we organised a sit-in for the murdered journalists and Deniz participated in the sit-in but we took the news that Hüseyin had been shot just after it. Deniz was not properly treated in Urfa State Hospital and lost his life before reaching Diyarbakır State Hospital.
 
'THE FUNERAL CEREMONY TURNED INTO AN UPRISING'
 
Stating that the remains of Deniz was taken to Ceylanpınar despite the police and gendarmerie's blockade, Bucak said: "The large crowd welcomed Deniz in Ceylanpınar. The straws of wheat were burnt, the fire were rising and Ceylanpınar was shining. Deniz was laid to rest at night. The funeral ceremony turned into an uprising in Kurdistan. Thousands of people came to the funeral ceremony and Deniz was laid to rest with slogan 'martyrs never die'. After the ceremony, the uprising continued."
 
THE STATE JUST CHANGED TACTICS
 
Stating that Deniz and other journalists were shot because they revealed the truth, Bucak said: "Todays the state just changed tactics, it targets journalists and arrests them. The journalists face heavy prison sentences. They try to suppress us and silence us. The free press continues to grow every day despite they silence us. I have never forgotten them nor did the Kurdish people. We will never forget them."
 
MA / Emrullah Acar
 
 

View More Articles

17/11/2022
14:25 Attorney Vefa: CPT should take steps towards sanctions
13:47 International Women's Conference: Jineology made its mark
12:22 Call from Selma Irmak: If Turkiye claims it is being slandered about the use of Chemicals, it should allow investigation
10:51 Turkey makes arrest across border regarding İstanbul bombing
16/11/2022
16:11 Press release for imprisoned journalists: No progress in the file for 5 months
15:49 The footage of the İstanbul bombing was cut before being released
15:22 Protection order for lawyer Tosun targetted after İstanbul bombing
14:13 TJA Spokesperson Gökkan: My defense here is based on the essence of the slogan "Jin, jiyan, azadi" that has spread to the whole world
13:23 The Senyaşar family's sit-in continues
12:16 Türkay under house arrest: My arrest is proof that Turkey is using Chemical Weapons
11:47 Muslim: Attacker of bombing attack in Taksim has FSA affiliation
10:52 Balance sheet of 'peace' in Hakkari: 48 operations, 63 village raids, 61 torture
15/11/2022
16:39 Two children in Hol Camp murdered
14:58 MHP's Provincial President had phonecalls with alleged Taksim bomber
13:51 ​​​​​​​PYD: Turkey is preparing for new attacks in our regions by deliberately accusing our forces
13:14 Statement from the KCK on the Taksim attack
12:48 Şenyaşar family: Our faith commands us not to remain silent against oppression
12:34 50 people detained in connection with Taksim bomb
12:16 Military operation in Yüksekova
11:43 Soldiers conductiong an operation tortured shepherds
11:25 Attorney Enmek: Solution is negotiation with Abdullah Öcalan
11:11 New indictment against Kurdish politician Tuğluk
14/11/2022
16:52 SDF Commander-In-Chief: Our forces have nothing to do with the Istanbul attack
16:46 HSM denies involvement in Istanbul explosion, calls for its exposure
16:22 Iranian regime attacks Komala and PDK-I positions in northern Iraq
16:20 46 detained in connection with the Istanbul explosion
16:02 Ferit Şenyaşar: AKP members do not have a face to appear in public in Urfa
13:06 Women journalists deprived of communication rights in Sincan Prison
12:49 Political prisoner suffering from tuberculosis to be examined in handcuffs
11:50 Lawyer Tosun targeted by Victory Party MP, filed a criminal complaint
10:42 Family of Şeyho, arrested as another person: Our applications were rejected despite official documents
13/11/2022
15:24 Şenyaşar family: We struggle for a dignified life
15:06 Nagihan Akarsel commemorated where she was murdered
15:03 ÇHD case: Right to a fair trial violated
11:35 Shengal Autonomous Administration: We will crown liberation with autonomy
11:21 International Women's Conference: Women thanked to Abdullah Öcalan
10:33 Political prisoner Aslan: Isolation is now deeper after the circular
10:32 Journalist Değer arrested over a 'note'
12/11/2022
16:28 Iran and Rojhilat march to revolution
16:02 Erdogan orders 'chemical weapons' to the judiciary
15:35 Campaign against the use of chemicals from the Swedish Left Party
15:17 The Senyaşar family's sit-in is on the 614th day.
15:03 Actions against chemical weapons: 'Rally for Humanity' was a start
12:33 Military operation in Ağrı and Iğdır
12:11 The condition of Mutlu, a schizophrenic patient, worsen: Mutlu should be released
11:28 Former Iraqi parliamentarian: We will fight until the airspace is closed to Turkey
10:36 283 children killed: Black day of Amudê
11/11/2022
16:21 Şenyaşar: They killed 2 people because there was no fair trial
16:19 Brukanlı who set himself on fire against violations of rights can't use his hands and legs
16:10 Kozağaçlı and Timtik sentenced to 12 years each