Journalist Ebdullah killed following Turkish attack on Derîk

  • actual
  • 16:09 22 November 2022
  • |
img
RIHA - ANHA reporter Îsam Ebdullah's colleague Ekrem Berekat, who stated that Ebdullah was killed following the air attack on Derik city of Northern and Eastern Syria by Turkey, said that Ebdullah had countless news stories and his camera, which turned into ashes during the attacks was left from him.
 
One of the 11 people killed in Turkey's airstrikes on Northern and Eastern Syrian cities was Hawar News Agency (ANHA) Derik reporter Îsam Ebdullah. Ebdullah, who announced the attack in Teqil Betil village of Dêrik to the world with his camera, left behind hundreds of news stories and his camera, which turned into ashes during the attack. His colleague Ekrem Berakat from ANHA spoke about Îsam Ebdullah, who is known for his humble personality.
 
HE WAS KILLED FOLLOWING THE ATTACK
 
Stating that Ebdullah worked for Ronahî TV before and has been working at ANHA since 2018, Berekat stated that Ebdullah worked as a reporter in Derik and Qamishlo. Expressing that it was Ebdullah who announced to the public the air attack carried out by Turkey on the village of Teqil Bekil on November 20, Berekat said, "There has been an attack on Northern and Eastern Syria. The power plant in Teqil Betil, which provides energy for 65 villages of Dêrik, was targeted. Îsam was the first person to arrive at the place where the bombs fell. He went there to make the information public. He went to the scene and was there before anyone else. After he got there, he reported the news and sent it to the agency. He appeared on Stêrk TV  and reported from the scene and conveyed the developments. In the second attack, he was martyred while he was on duty, along with 10 other people. Expressing that Îsam Ebdullah, like other ANHA reporters, was at work 24 hours a day with a camera and a pen in his hand, Berekat said, "As there is a great war in the region, Ebdullah would go there like the others. He was a modest person. He knew the community well. That's why he was well known by everyone. He was a humble journalist."
 
INJURED IN SEMELKA
 
Stating that Ebdullah carried out his work with the philosophy of the free press, Berekat said: "He did his job to expose the attacks and injustices against this people. He did not stop for a minute. He followed the demonstrations of the families of the martyrs on the border for 6-month  in Semelka. He was injured in Semelka following the demonstrations as well. But he did not give up." 
 
REACTION TO THE SILENCE OF PROFESSIONAL ORGANISATIONS 
 
Stating that Ebdullah was not the first of his fellow journalists to die in the region, Berekat reminded that journalists Said Ehmed, Rızgar Deniz and Dilişan İbiş had previously lost their lives in the attacks of ISIS and Turkey. Berekat said, "We are trying to convey the truth to the world. We continue our profession with the responsibility of the free press" and protested to the silence of Reporters Without Borders (RSF) and the institutions that defend the rights of journalists in the face of the murder of their colleagues.
 
 
Ebdullah’ın bölgede yaşamını yitiren ilk gazeteci arkadaşları olmadığını söyleyen Berekat, daha öncede DAİŞ ve Türkiye'nin saldırılarında gazeteciler Said Ehmed, Rızgar Deniz ve Dilişan İbiş'in yaşamını yitirdiğini hatırlattı. "Gerçekleri dünyaya duyurmaya çalışıyoruz. Özgür basının sorumluluklarıyla mesleğimize devam ediyoruz" diyen Berekat, Sınır Tanımayan Gazeteciler (RSF) ile gazetecilerin haklarını savunan kurumların meslektaşlarının katledilmesi karşısındaki sessizliğine tepki gösterdi. 
 
MA / Müjdat Can

View More Articles

21/09/2023
13:50 Dilsiz: The state has to comply with the law in İmralı
12:04 Repentance being imposed on ill prisoner in cell
11:45 KNK Foreign Relations Spokesperson: KDP is committing crimes against Kurds
11:19 Perpetrator of İnan, who was killed by a police bullet, not been found for 18 years
10:48 Şirnex's values are the target of trustees
10:35 Decision to postpone the release of prisoner taken before the board meeting
20/09/2023
16:14 Request for the arrest of 3 rape perpetrators rejected
15:30 Child torture case: Defendant police officers did not attend the first hearing
15:00 Law tightening the headscarf obligation in Iran passed by the parliament
14:21 Military operation in Gever
14:12 Apê Musa commemorated
13:52 Increase in drug use in Amed
12:13 People cannot make ends meet due to the economic crisis
12:04 Imprisonment for citizen who want to enter the his own land
11:40 94 percent of disabled prisoners not released
11:13 Attack on cemeteries and bodies: The ultimate point of immorality
11:00 Çiftyürek: Abdullah Öcalan should be free
19/09/2023
16:15 KNK Co-Chairperson Murat: The attack is on all of Kurdistan
15:52 Green Left Party Co-Speakers: We should take a stand against the attacks
14:50 Lawyers' requests in the Dedeoğulları attack case rejected
12:58 Application for Abdullah Öcalan, who has not been heard from for 30 months
11:48 12 people detained in 2 cities
11:40 Surroundings of Bana village being bombed
11:36 KNK: This war is aimed at all of Kurdistan
11:30 Relatives whom they cannot visit prisoners want transfer
11:17 Aydın: If there is a solution, both Kurds and Turks will be relieved
10:41 'Resistance journalism still continues after murder of journalist Apê Musa'
18/09/2023
16:54 Protest against attacks of KDP
15:46 Military fire started a fire in Bana under blockade
14:17 Musical instrument not given to Imprisoned journalist Arslan
13:54 Lausanne conference: The existence, language and status of the Kurds should be recognized
11:44 Identities of YBŞ members who lost their lives in the SIHA attack
11:31 Women meet in the 'jin, jiyan, azadi' campaign!
11:20 Land of Rojava greens again with the hands of women
10:56 Musa Anter award given to MA's imprisoned editor Gök
17/09/2023
16:07 Lausanne conference in Amed: It should be handled as a non-partisan issue
15:32 Drone attack on a vehicle in Shengal
12:01 Military operation in Licê countryside
12:01 90's practices are in effect in Bana
11:19 Condemnation from peace mothers to the attacks: Betrayal must be 'stopped'
11:13 Constitutional Court's decision to violate torture: A re-investigation should be opened
15/09/2023
16:14 Prisoners not treated in Prison
15:45 Yüksekdağ to the Kobanê Case delegation: This is a coup court
14:56 New application submitted by the families of Öcalan and other prisoners
14:51 It is forbidden to graze animals and water gardens in Bana
14:43 Keskin: The crimes committed by the Turkish Armed Forces are also included in the state reports
14:28 Saturday Mother Dayan: 'Where are the perpetrators?'
12:36 Economic crisis in Türkiye deepens
12:16 'Leader Apo's call liberated Kobanê'
11:50 Kurds: We want education in mother tongue