Geophysicist Şahan: The buildings collapsed due to insufficient supervision

  • actual
  • 11:27 10 February 2023
  • |
img
İSTANBUL - Pointing out that the buildings were not inspected, Geophysical Engineer Erdal Şahan said: "If they had been built in accordance with the current earthquake regulations, these buildings would not collapse like rusk."
 
While the number of people who lost their lives in the earthquakes with a magnitude of 7.7 and 7.6 that occurred consecutively on February 6 in Kahramanmaraş reached 14 thousand 14, there are thousands of people in the wreckage of the collapsed buildings. Among the factors that aggravate the balance sheet are “the magnitude of the earthquake and the construction of buildings that are not resistant to earthquakes, as well as insufficient supervision”. Geophysics Engineer Erdal Şahan pointed out that the number of people who lost their lives due to the earthquake could reach 200 thousand.
 
'EARTHQUAKE REGULATION' SHOULD BE REVIEWED'
 
Stating that at least 2,800 atomic bombs were dropped with two different earthquakes in the region, Şahan said: "The demolished buildings were not designed for earthquakes either. The 'earthquake regulation' should be changed after this earthquake. This earthquake also showed us that: AFAD changed the earthquake regulation after the earthquake area map. Normally, acceleration values for newly built structures are taken as 1 for normal structures. You get 1 and a half for schools, government institutions, military buildings and hospitals, as well as buildings that can survive and serve in times of disaster. This acceleration value rose above 1.9. with this earthquake. It almost doubled. So gravity has officially disappeared. The earthquake regulation should be reviewed with this earthquake."
 
'BUILDING AUDITING'
 
Şahan said: "Most of the collapsed structures were built on bad ground and unsupervised. The inspections are not carried out by the state, but by the "private" companies authorized by the state. It is clearly seen that the 'Building auditing', which carries out the inspection, does not do its work well. We understand this from the demolition of newly constructed buildings. If they had been built in accordance with current earthquake regulations, these buildings would not have collapsed in this way. Walls would crack or explode or windows would break or things would topple over, but these people could come out of those buildings with simple wounds. The collapse of these buildings like rusks shows that these buildings were not inspected. Correct workmanship, correct material not used. It also does not benefit from the right engineering knowledge. This is the reason why the effect of the earthquake was so great."
 
TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND PEOPLE MAY BE UNDER THE RUBBLE
 
Noting that 200,000 people may have lost their lives in the image revealed by the destruction, Şahan said: "Earthquakes will continue to occur in Kurdistan, Erzincan and Bingöl-Karlıova. The East Anatolian Fault shifted three meters from the North Anatolian Fault with the earthquake. There will be earthquakes in the Aegean and Marmara as well. There was a constant westward thrust from the Mediterranean, Syrian plate. There was a push at a stronger moment with this earthquake; therefore, there will be an earthquake here. Also, a potential of 7 has already been formed. There was a lot of energy."
 
MA / Mehmet Aslan

View More Articles

08/01/2024
14:31 She continues her struggle at the Justice Watch
14:01 212th issue of Xwebûn is out
13:59 Artist Hekîm Sefkan: Freedom campaign is a message of 'you cannot surrender us'
13:07 What are the demands of the 'Let's Be a Voice for Peace' signatories?
12:02 The association's activities were shown as 'terrorist organization activities'
10:43 No news from journalist detained by KDP for 76 days
10:42 Hunger strike action in prisons is on its 43rd day
07/01/2024
14:15 She is on the trail of her daughter's case: “I can't forget her smile”
14:12 Norman Paech supports the 'Freedom for Abdullah Öcalan' campaign
11:59 Women from Afrin resist the attack and embargo
11:56 'Kurdish culture must be protected against memorylessness '
11:55 Imprisoned politician Ölbeci: We started a hunger strike against the isolation
09:54 No news from journalist detained by KDP for 75 days
09:51 Hunger strike action in prisons is on its 42nd day
06/01/2024
22:14 Attack on settlements with UCAV in the Federated Kurdistan Region
22:12 Tens of thousands of people demanded removal of state secrets from Paris massacre cases
20:59 Rojnews: KDP is responsible for the life and security of Süleyman Ahmet
18:40 7 Kurd women commemorated: Women's liberation struggle shakes the foundations of the state
18:28 The Kurds and their supporters marched to clarify the massacres in Paris
18:19 Prisoner Topkaya: We will not get used to the absolute isolation in İmralı
17:37 Relatives of the missing people asked about the perpetrators of Soysal, Düşkün and Yılmaz
17:35 A woman in love with freedom: Sakine Cansız
16:38 Begdaş, who was kept waiting in front of HDP, is found to be a murder suspect
16:35 Decision to continue imprisonment in the Kobanê Case
11:15 A first from Ma Music: Kurdish rhythm and method book
11:07 Relatives of prisoners at the Justice Watch: Türkiye will not be liberated until Abdullah Öcalan is free
10:25 Hunger strike action in prisons is on its 41th day
05/01/2024
21:47 Kobanê Case: 'Did the UN Secretary General also receive instructions from the KCK?'
19:55 The number of people killed in the attack in Iran increased to 89
17:54 Application to the prosecutor's office and prison for Abdullah Öcalan
17:53 The blockade on the village of Hespist was abolished
15:05 3 people were detained in Amed
13:50 Release of 11 women in Sincan Prison postponed
13:48 A 'breaking news' lie from the pro-government media every day
13:07 Sêvê Demir's mother: My daughter's cause is everyone's cause
11:39 The Iranian regime did not allow the burial of the Kurd director's body
10:51 Mother of Journalist Ahmet: KDP has not allowed me to see my son for 73 days
10:34 Hunger strike action in prisons is on its 40th day
04/01/2024
21:46 Demirtaş: Let's sit around the table and talk about where and how we went wrong!
17:45 84 dead, 284 injured in attack in Iran
17:43 No news from Gülistan Doku for 4 years: The perpetrators are known and protected
17:19 The Democratic Modernity case postponed
16:57 Mehmet İldem, a prisoner of 30 years, was released
16:49 No news from journalist detained by KDP for 72 days
16:46 Digest report prepared for 9 MPs
16:45 Demirtaş: The state is currently MHP and the junior partner is AKP
16:31 The bodies of Ay and Ölçay were buried
16:22 The Mothers for Peace and TJA sent the sweaters they knitted to Imrali
15:45 DFG report: 280 journalists are on trial, 57 journalists are imprisoned
13:33 The action demanding 'freedom' in 6 cities: We must contribute to peace