Worker who racially attacked says it was organized attack

  • actual
  • 12:56 29 August 2024
  • |
img
AMED - Özgür İpek, one of the workers who were attacked by police, warden and a racist group in Balıkesir, said: “It was an organized and planned attack. The only reason was that we were Kurdish.”
 
Özgür İpek, Mehmet Argın and Cemal Güzel, construction workers in Balıkesir, were detained by the police on the evening of August 21 while listening to Kurdish music in Atatürk Park in Altıeylül district. The workers did not give their ID cards to the police officers who asked for their ID cards on the grounds of “complaints from the neighborhood”, stating that they were listening to music. 
 
Upon this, 3 workers were attacked and beaten by the police, the warden and the amusement park owner who filed a complaint. After being detained, the 3 workers were brought to the Balıkesir Courthouse. After their statements were taken by the prosecutor's office, the workers were referred to the court for arrest on charges of “making propaganda for an illegal organization” and “resisting the police”. 
 
Cemal Güzel was arrested, while İpek and Argın were released on judicial control conditions. 
 
Özgür İpek, one of the workers who returned to his hometown Amed (Diyarbakır) after the attack, told our agency about the racist attack and what happened afterwards.  
 
WHAT HAPPENED DURING THE ATTACK 
 
İpek stated that he went to Balıkesir from Amed to work a month ago and that they went from the construction site where they were working to the park to listen to music and were warned that “people are disturbed”.  İpek said that the music in the amusement park was louder and described what happened as follows: “We left the park and walked to the construction site where we were staying, which was already ten minutes away.  The guards suddenly appeared in front of us. They said, 'There is a report about you' and asked for our ID cards. The owner of the amusement park came before they even asked us for our IDs. 'This is Turkey, you have to speak Turkish. There are no Kurds,' and then we were surrounded by dolphin police, guards and the racist amusement park employees.  They handcuffed us behind our backs. They started torturing us and then they started hitting us with batons.”   
 
'IT WAS PLANNED ATTACK'   
 
İpek stated that they started to think that they were going to die due to the extent of the violence, and that the watchman threatened them that “he has only one bullet to live”. Stating that those who tried to prevent the situation were also taken into custody, İpek said that the security guards of the hospital where they were taken after the detention made the “grey wolves” sign and said “this is Turkey, you will obey”. İpek said: “We were attacked by the racist group there while we were being taken to the detention bus, but no one helped us. They did not even allow us to inform our families. There were many security cameras where we were, we told them to look at the cameras if we said anything. No one heard us. Everything we said is documented. While the police and guards were beating us, the racist group was also using violence. So it was an organized and planned attack. After they beat us, we went to the hospital. We wanted to inform people about what had been done to us, but they didn't allow us to do that and used violence again. The doctors who examined us wrote a report regardless of the fact that my friend's nose was broken and took us to the police station.  When we were brought to the hospital again the next day, there was another doctor there. He wrote a report.”
 
'THE ONLY REASON IS THAT WE ARE KURDS'    
 
Demanding justice, İpek said that his worker friends in Balıkesir are not safe. Stating that Cemal Güzel, one of their friends, was arrested, İpek said that they were alleged to have shouted slogans and said “This is Kurdistan” but this was untrue. İpek said that the main reason they were attacked was because they were Kurdish and said: “To justify what they did, they claimed that we ‘insulted the President.’ They say ‘resisting the police’ but they didn't even let us speak, let alone resist. They detained 3 other people who came to save us from them.  We don't know them. They were already asking 'do you know them' when we were detained.” 
 
APPLICATION TO I·HD 
 
Stating that Güzel was being held in Balıkesir Prison and therefore in life-threatening danger, İpek continued as follows: “A guard's finger was broken when they beat us. Later they said we broke his finger. We couldn't even make a sound when we were in that situation. How could we fight with whom?  Our friends who saw the incident said that 40-50 people beat us.”
 
Stating that they will apply to the Human Rights Association (IHD), İpek said: “We will ask for our rights. We do not accept this persecution against us.”
 

View More Articles

27/12/2024
13:56 DFG provides legal assistance to 152 journalists in 2024
12:34 The roles assigned to HTS
10:51 Today is the day of unity says Rojavan on Nisêbîn-Qamishlo border
09:47 Mothers at border in 2014: Let's embrace Kobanê with spirit of 2014
09:39 Politicians reacts to murder of Nazım and Cihan
09:30 'Pressures increased in Dumlu Prison No. 2'
09:28 Price of demand justice for Roboski: 17 trials, years in prison
26/12/2024
18:54 Lawyer Solidarity: We stand by the Istanbul Bar Association. Nazım and Cihan are journalists
18:51 Vigil at the Qamishlo border on its 14th day: We are the heart of Rojava
18:40 Vigil on Kobanê border: We will protect life in Rojava
16:06 İHD warns of life threat for seriously ill prisoners
15:16 Constitutional Court rejects Imrali prisoner's 'telephone' application
14:31 We are strong enough to defend what we have says PYD executive
14:01 Autonomous Administration emphasises 'democratic nation' against conflicts
13:46 Call from artists: Let's stand up for Rojava
13:13 Lawyers applies to meet with Abdullah Öcalan
13:12 Resisting father on border: Lost 2 children, 1 child imprisoned
12:18 We will not stop writing the truth says journalists
12:17 Torture file closed on the grounds '7 years have passed'
11:27 709 deaths, 8,521 release obstacle, countless violations
11:26 Ministry authorises 175 quarries in 3 months
10:40 She lost her brother in massacre, and mother in struggle of justice
09:58 Zêbarî: Threat to Rojava affects four parts
Berwari: The only solution is for Turkey to leave the region
09:12 5 journalists killed in Israeli attack
25/12/2024
11:48 There is a great hope for Kurdish alliance says Sheikh Xeznewî
11:18 Salih Muslim: We are part of Syria and want to be part of solution
10:26 War crimes committed by Turkey
09:44 Pinto: Ending the isolation of Öcalan, a matter of peace
09:25 'His house rake, he forced to migrate, his testimony tried to be changed'
09:15 Message of women in 2024: Jin, jiyan, azadî
24/12/2024
16:03 Vigil at Pirsûs-Kobanê border
15:00 Grain silo bombed in Girê Spî
13:12 Kurdistan Alliance parties: Kurds will be recognised if united
12:07 His friends tells Nazım: Wherever there was a violation of rights he was there
11:29 Lawyers applies to meet with Abdullah Öcalan
11:00 'We will defend Kobanê as we defended it in 2014'
09:51 What did Abdullah Öcalan say about Syria on 23 October?
09:45 Call for sensitisation for seriously ill prisoners
09:43 'North and East Syria is a model for a multi-identity Syria'
09:36 Release of 7 prisoners prevented in Bakırköy Women's Prison
09:35 Violence increased, physicians migrated, decay in health emerged
23/12/2024
16:29 Vigil at Qamishlo border: Rojava will definitely win
16:16 Vigil starts on border between Kobanê and Pirsûs
15:18 Reaction to murder of journalists: Truth targeted
14:38 Islamic memorial service for journalists Nazım Daştan and Cihan Bilgin
11:06 Don't leave her pen on the ground says Cihan Bilgin's mother
11:05 'Resistance in Rojava vital for the future of Middle East'
10:23 2025: 11 million 246 thousand unemployed
10:21 Xwebûn published with headline 'They were the pens of truth'
09:35 'Nazim's camera continues to record the truth'