Journalist Mehmûd says attacks target common life

  • actual
  • 12:41 30 October 2024
  • |
img

RIHA - Turkey is committing war crimes by targeting settlements in northern and eastern Syria, “All excuses are empty. The people who are building a common life here are being targeted,” journalist Şervan Mehmûd said.  

The attacks launched by Turkey against Northern and Eastern Syria on October 23 continue. According to the Syrian Democratic Council (MSD), 27 people were killed and 48 were injured in the attacks. The Press Liaison Center of the Internal Security Forces also reported that Turkey launched 685 attacks on the region with warplanes and artillery shelling. Factories, oil offices, water and electricity production sites were among the targets.
 
Şervan Mehmûd, a journalist in Northern and Eastern Syria, commented on the attacks and the latest situation in the region. Stating that the timing of Turkey's attacks is striking, Şervan Mehmûd reminded that the region was also targeted after the protests organized during the “Freedom for Abdullah Öcalan and democratic solution to the Kurdish issue” campaign launched last year. 
“For a year, there was a great resistance in all 4 parts of Kurdistan to end the isolation. The people in Rojava also put up a great struggle against isolation. As a result of this resistance, Leader Öcalan had a meeting with Ömer Öcalan, a member of his family. Even this meeting alone has given great hope to the Kurdish people. We can see from the first words of Leader Öcalan that he is still waging a great struggle for peace. Despite this, Turkey organized genocidal attacks on Rojava,” Şervan Mehmûd said. 
 
'WAR CRIMES ARE BEING COMMITTED'
 
Şervan Mehmûd stated that the Autonomous Administration is the solution to the problems of the people and this is the main reason for the attacks. Pointing out that the areas where the basic needs of the people are met in civilian settlements are targeted, Şervan Mehmûd noted that war crimes are committed with the attacks. “A massacre is being imposed on a population of 6 million people living in Northern and Eastern Syria. There is a war in front of the eyes of the whole world. There is a reaction to Israel's attacks on Palestine and Lebanon, but there is silence against the attacks here,” he said.   
 
'COMMON LIFE IS BEING TARGETED' 
 
Pointing out that Kurds, Arabs, Turkmens, Armenians and Assyrians live together in Northern and Eastern Syria, Şervan Mehmûd said: “These attacks are not the first time. These peoples have faced many similar attacks before. Turkey wants to change the demography with these attacks and continues this plan of change. Turkey has put forward many excuses for the attacks. But all of them turn out to be lies and hollow. Here, the peoples who are building a common life are being targeted. For example, 7 Arab citizens were martyred in an oil office targeted in Sewedê. This shows that Turkey is in a genocide plan not only against Kurds but also against all peoples who embrace the Rojava Revolution.” 
 
PEOPLE'S RESISTANCE  
 
Saying that hundreds of thousands stood up against the attacks, Şervan Mehmûd continued as follows: “Peoples have always known how to give the same response to these attacks. The peoples once again sent the message that they will never be separated from their history, culture and homeland. Production and education continue in the autonomous administration in the midst of war. This will continue to be the case from now on. Hundreds of thousands of people took to the streets against the attacks, chanting slogans such as 'Resistance or resistance'.” 
 
MA / Ceylan Şahinli
 

View More Articles

26/07/2025
09:10 Veysi Aktaş who held in İmralı releases
09:04 Statement by İmralı delegation after meeting with Abdullah Öcalan
25/07/2025
09:50 Letter from 88 Nobel laureates to international organisations
24/07/2025
10:08 Mexmur Residents: We want to return to our lands with dignity
10:05 Peace Mothers Assembly: Peace cannot be one-sided
09:57 Conferences in Bazîd and Mêrdîn to focus on Kurdish Unity and Peace Process
23/07/2025
09:15 Emine Ocak passed away
22/07/2025
13:17 Democratic Alevi Associations Co-chair: Burning weapons marks the birth of new existences
13:01 Lawyer Veysi Atmaca: Constitutional reform is vital for resolving the Kurdish issue
12:38 Legal guarantees are needed for those who lay down arms says journalist Bayramoglu
12:13 Citizens in Aydın: All parties must engage their base in peace process
21/07/2025
15:21 Letter to 18 countries: Recognise the Yazidi genocide
14:56 You will witness progress taking place on the Parliament floor says Erdogan
14:00 'Freedom for Öcalan' march to be organised in Europe
13:37 We will build a free and equal life says DEM Party Women’s Assembly Spokesperson
12:52 Women to lead the process by expanding their organization
12:33 MIT Director Kalın to visit DEM Party
12:17 35 prisoners denied release in Bolu Prison
11:04 Circassians want to take part in Parliamentary Peace Commission
10:49 Civil society launches petition to join peace process in Amed
10:13 No government formed in Kurdistan region nine months after elections
09:58 Kurdish mother demands peace and justice after losing two children
20/07/2025
21:06 We will organise more in the new period says DBP Co-chair
20:43 Final Declaration from Êzidîs
20:00 Iran attacks on Eastern Kurdistan Defense Units
14:25 Commemoration for 33 'Dream Travelers': Call for accountability
11:19 Zeynep Yaman: My baby faced state violence before was even born
10:36 Watching the historic ceremony: Denial and assimilation must end
10:13 A Dream Traveller on road to Kobanê: Hogir
18/07/2025
21:10 85-year-old ill prisoner Sıddık Guler releases
21:01 What decisions taken at Commission meeting?
19:55 Release of 30-year prisoner postponed for the 2nd time
19:03 2 journalists acquitted 1 journalist sentenced
12:05 Central Anatolian Kurds stand with the peace process
11:17 Parties gathered for the commission
11:07 Families of fighters at disarmament ceremony: The world saw Ocalan’s theoretical and practical power
10:41 Peace Mother: safe return path must be opened for the guerrillas
10:16 Salih Muslim: We reject surrender, a change in mindset is needed
09:51 Hundreds of women kidnapped in Syria
17/07/2025
10:48 Rojava Revolution marks 13 years: We will not give up our gains
16/07/2025
15:13 Imrali Delegation statement after meeting with Minister of Justice
12:57 Holloway: I am deeply honored to join voices supporting peace process
10:22 Saw his brother the historic ceremony: We want to see him among us
10:07 Partido Obrero supports 'I want to visit Ocalan' campaign
10:00 Witnessed the historic ceremony: Kurds should trust themselves, not the state
15/07/2025
16:57 Urgent demands from TTB for the process
15:10 Suwayda statement from Damascus: Ceasefire declared
15:03 Druze Spiritual Leader: The statement made in our name does not reflect our will
14:43 Damascus forces enter Suwayda: Curfew declared
14:38 Nagehan Avcil from OHD: Recognition of the ‘Right to Hope’ will contribute to the peace process